I was not allowed to eat salt for a while when I was six years old due to health reasons. Mom added no salt to pots and everybody else seasoned their food individually while I was prescribed an artificial salt which smelled and tasted nothing like real salt and instead of seasoning my food it ruined it. I refused using that altogether and had to put up with eating bland food for a couple of months.
One day, mom made this zucchini stew and knowing that I had no interest in it until that day, she seasoned it in her usual manner. She had prepared something else for me to eat, something I would enjoy and laid that in front of me instead of the zucchini stew she handed out to herself, dad and my brother. The moment she opened the pot's lid and the sour, garlicky smell touched my nostrils I wanted to have some of that too and when I was told that it was salted, I was devastated. The fact that it was out of my reach made it suddenly the most delicious meal in the whole world and I had cried a river for being deprived from it, making poor mom very upset and regretful. But the next time she made it, I ate it with so much delight that it became one of my most favourite homecooked meals.
Zucchini With Lentils
- 6 small size zucchinis
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
1) Boil 2 cups of water in a pot. Boil lentils for 10-15 minutes. Leave aside with their boiling water.
2) Scrape zucchini skins with a serrated knife. Cut them into 1/2 inch/1,5 cm rounds.
3) Melt butter in a pot over medim-high heat. When bubbles start to form add onion and saute for 7-8 minutes, until translucent.
4) Add tomatoes and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add zucchinis. Stir once and cook for 3-4 minutes before adding lentils with the boiling water. Add salt to taste, garlic and lemon juice. Drizzle the olive oil.
5) Reduce heat to minimum and stew covered for about 15-20 minutes until zucchinis slighty change color. Zucchinis should still be firm by the end of cooking. Sprinkle with dried mint. Serve hot.